In the entire process of investment into home real estate, zeroing in and buying a property is just one part of the larger picture. Deciding on the interiors and furnishing is the next mammoth task where most home buyers find the process both daunting and exciting at the same time.
Here is a quick guide to contemporary wardrobe and storage design, that can be customized as per your room size, requirement and of course the budget set aside. Once you have defined these parameters, an expert in interiors can help put together a complete look that is stylish, yet functional, thus making it your pride and the neighbours’ envy.
- Built-in Wardrobes – this is a fairly common type where a builder has already built a concrete ledge (commonly knows as ‘Chajja’). It can cover the entire breadth of the wall and needs to be well planned out as they limit the height of the wardrobe.
- Free standing wardrobe unit: These are standalone pieces that are best suited for smaller rooms. This category of wardrobes are compact in nature and also reflect minimalism in design.
- Sliding door wardrobe: Excellent for smaller rooms and spaces owing to optimum utilisation of available area as the doors do not open outwards. Adding a mirror to these doors would reflect light and make the room look larger and brighter. This style epitomizes sophistication and refinement in wardrobe design.
- Walk-in wardrobe or closet: Undoubtedly, the ultimate luxury and dream in wardrobe design, made popular by Hollywood. Definitely a possible option when a small room adjacent to the bedroom can be converted into a wardrobe with shelves, a dresser and well-appointed storage area for your clothes and footwear. If you do have the space, these can be designed and built with great style.
- Plan and make projections of your storage requirements by actually visualizing what goes where as per your family size and needs. Also choose the colour scheme of the wardrobe unit with utmost care so that it blends with the overall theme. You really do not want cedar wood finish on your wardrobe, looking terribly odd with your rosewood furniture.
- Think of modularity and versatility in design to accommodate wardrobe accessories such as wicker baskets, trouser pull-out, saree holder, compact security locker, hangers, tie holders, designer handles, knobs etc. Explore various shutter options from laminates (matt, suede or glossy finish), acrylic solid surfaces, polyurethane coats to lacquered glass finish with aluminium frames, etc.
- Wardrobe units can be manufactured with a variety of material such as MDF Board, Particle Board or Plywood. Choose the right material depending on your budget and weather conditions of the location.
Designing the ultimate wardrobe After the dust has settled and you have moved into your dream abode, if you are out of storage space or disappointed with the overall look of the room, it is not an ideal situation given the investment you made in terms of time and money. So make it a well thought after plan, as important as the property buying process itself.
Finally, wardrobes are personal as they carefully store what we own, wear, adore or treasure. It is also a place to hide secrets, lest they are raring to come out of the closet.
– Monisha Devaiah.